[frgeek-michiana] Debian + Gnome + Sound

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Geek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:54:16 -0500

Ah, OK. I get it now....

   For someone going from RedHat to Debian, I recommend it as Apt-get makes it
all worth it but expect to learn a few things!

   Debian and Gnome.... Sound issues, had sound just fine in Gnome, nada from
the command line. Turns out Gnome uses ESD (Esound) as it's sound sub-system.
Gnome starts Esound by default and it locks the /dev/audio and /dev/dsp ports!

   So thanks to a search on the Internet I've got an answer. First, in the
gnome control-panel ones disables starting the sound server in Gnome. Two,
edit /etc/esound/esd.conf and set autospawn to 1. I went ahead and shutdown
the system as I had some some other hardware reconfig stuff anyhow and now
everything works! Sweet!

   BTW, for command line stuff, you need to make sure you have versions that
support the Esound (ESD) daemon.

   So, the IBM Daully is finally ready to go and I've got some time on
Saturday night to go hang out somewhere. Sweet!

   I'm outta here.... Turbine on Sunday!

   From the Goose lab.

   Goose

at <//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>