[frgeek-michiana] D-Link DWA-140 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 11:26:21 -0400

I have the D-Link DWA-140 USB wireless adapter working. The device uses a Ralink chip. I downloaded, compiled and installed the current Ralink driver (rt2870usb). There were some warnings and errors during compilation, but the driver works so far.

1.  Root Access

To obtain and maintain root access in Ubuntu, type:

   sudo bash

2. Force rt2870 Driver

The new driver doesn't work unless you specifically load it on each boot which is done by adding the driver module name to /etc/modules as instructed in the link below. Otherwise, the system loads a generic rt2800 driver which does not work properly with the DWA-140.

3. WEP Configuration

I use WEP. I know, I know, it's not safe. I may be the only person alive still using WEP. One of these days, I'll switch to WPA2 or something. A neighbor of mine is running an open wireless router (80% or better signal from my house) so folks will go to his honey pot first. There are several WEP choices in Ubuntu 10.04 and choosing the right one is critical. Only "WEP 40/128-bit Key" works for my lash up; "WEP 128-bit Passphrase" and "Dynamic WEP" do not work. Perhaps my current WAP supports other types of WEP besides 40/128-bit key, but I didn't check.

4. Auto Wireless Connection

Ubuntu doesn't change the automatic wireless connection even though I assign it manually in the gui interface. A reboot or more command line dumpster diving might resolve the problem. I want my wireless to automatically connect to my network and not my neighbor with the open wireless router even though I admit an attraction to free Internet.