[frgeek-michiana] Re: Color of ls command in xterm

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 08:14:26 -0400

"echo $TERM" is a substitute for step #2 below. If your system doesn't have DIR_COLORS.xterm, it may have DIR_COLORS in step #3.

Tom

Tom Brown wrote:

I set up an OpenVZ box using CentOS 5.4 then configured several containers (VPEs, virtual machines, etc.). The containers use CentOS 4.x because it was easier to find and install CentOS 4.x templates. However, the color of directory names output by the “ls” command in the containers is too dark for my eyes. I have to move my face closer to the display and sort of squint to see the directory names.

The fix –

   1. Su to root.
   2. Issue “infocmp” command to discover what terminal type your
      system uses. The CentOS 4.x template uses xterm.
   3. Open /etc/DIR_COLORS.xterm
   4. Change the line which says “DIR 00;34” to “DIR 01;34”. The first
      setting turns the bold attribute off. The second setting turns
      bold on. The default attribute apparently is off in the CentOS
      4.x template from Open VZ.
   5. Save the file. Logout and log back in to reload the xterm settings.

There is probably a more clever way to reload the color settings, but I didn’t take the time to find it.

Tom Brown
System/Network Administrator
River Bend Hose Specialty, Inc.
office: 574-233-1133 x228