[frgeek-michiana] Re: Addtl. warehouse report

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <ke4rit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 10:28:07 -0500

Tom Brown wrote:
I'll ask Big Bob the Plumber if there is a handy and safe ground for us to use. Dale found a pure copper ground on a utility pole about 100' from our shop, but we need something much closer, ideally the electrical system within the shop. Goose knows how to lash up a discharge probe.

Well, we COULD run a copper wire to the pole and setup our own ground bus... But it would probably be stolen <grin>

:: MAI Basic 4 Printers

We have a potential customer interested in the print heads from the two MAI Basic 4 printers. Albert, <joke> in his spare time </joke>, will test the printers. To do that we need wide green bar tractor feed paper. Does anyone have a supply of green bar we can filch from?

For print head testing, regular 8.5 x 11 paper will work, either they work, or they don't. Push come to shove we could probably get a small box from Staples.

:: Hand Tools for Deman

Albert will make a list of hand tools and either purchase them or submit the shopping list to Goose.

  I'll be looking for the list....

  Reminds me, I NEED to call Wells Fargo...
:: Certification Study Group

Albert, Janice and Liza want to organize a technical certification study group at the lab. Albert says the study materials for all three certifications combined (A+, N+, Linux+ ) was $700. He will check on the latest price since one of the certifications has recently changed.

In the FWIW dept. (For What It's Worth) Unknown to me at the time I was (and am) looking into a Linux+ exam study guide. It's computer based (Windows) and is $60. It's basically a certification test with the answers and explanations. I intended to use it to check my mastery of Linux and then use the 'study' part of it to research the subject on the Internet. www.ucertify.com and you can download the 'demo' packages for a variety of subjects. Again it's Windows only.

Albert doesn't know whether the study materials require Windows. If not, and we can run the materials on the lab server, we probably need to add codecs to the server. Albert wants to use the 36" monitor so the Tuesday night lab crew needs to mount the behemoth to the wall or suspend it from the ceiling and connect to the server. If sound is required, we'll need to address that issue too. Does the 36" monitor have speakers built in?

Why spend the money to mount it on the wall? We already have the sturdy warehouse shelving in the deman room, we only need to reconfigure the shelving to use it. Then use a donor system and build a Windoze box! With an X emulator we can connect right to the warehouse server! The IBM P3-800 would be a good candidate for this! If the group approves I can go ahead and load it up while I'm building up the Debian virtual server test box this weekend.

  Goose

  Goose