[freenos] Re: Understanding FreeNOS

  • From: Niek Linnenbank <nieklinnenbank@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Karthik Krishnamurthy <karthik3186@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:48:51 +0200

Hi Karthik!

Yes, I can recommend you Andrew S. Tanenbaum's excellent book:

http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/academic/product/0,,0131429388,00%2Ben-USS_01DBC.html

I understand your problem -- code only is not enough to understand a system,
even
with source code comments. Exactly for this purpose we are working on these
two
documents: 'Understanding the FreeNOS internals' and 'FreeNOS developers
Handbook':

http://www.freenos.org/wiki/doku.php/documentation?DokuWiki=6e9da8e4b2dd4d237da173d54c9114ed

The first tells you everything needed about the theory on operating systems,
and the FreeNOS
architecture, it's components etc. The second document help you to use the
theory in practise, by
step-by-step HOWTO's, examples, screenshots and development guidelines.

Unfortunately we currently have very very little time (in fact 0) to work on
FreeNOS,
so I cannot finish the documents yet. I'll post a news item on the site soon
to inform
about the current status. I expect there to be more time available in the
next few weeks,
so we can finish 0.0.5 and complete the documentation. Meanwhile, you can
join us on #freenos
on freenode if you want :-)

Ofcourse, feel free to msg me if you have any more questions.

Kind regards,

Niek

--
Niek Linnenbank