[Freelists News] Network move complete, software upgrade

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 01:11:16 -0500

===
- The FreeLists Newsletter -
 You're receiving this email because you are subscribed
 to the FreeLists Newsletter, a newsletter sent out to all
 FreeLists list owners.  It contains important updates about
 changes to FreeLists services.  For subscription information,
 please see the bottom of this email.
===

We successfully completed our move to the new network, and the required
DNS changes have been made.

Note that until those changes propagate, things may be a little slow for
those using the old DNS records: We've left a firewall device on the old
network that will forward requests onto the new network.  The change
should thus be seamless.

We had some rather unhappy news from the Listar/Ecartis folks this
weekend.  (And it's also an unhappy coincidence that it came *this* of all
weekends.)  It seems there is a security problem with all versions of
Listar, and that an upgrade to the latest version of Ecartis is required.
(Ecartis is the new name for the Listar software, a change that was forced
by trademark issues over the "Listar" mark.)

We'll be upgrading the software tonight, which unfortunately doesn't leave
much lead time to let everyone know what's happening, but security has a
higher priority than convenience.  Fortunately, because of how similar the
software is, very little will actually be changing other than the name.
For example, users will now be prompted to send to "ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
instead of "listar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx," but the actual commands and command
results won't change.

I'll be dropping the new version of the software in place immediately.
Sorry for the short notice and any inconvenience it may cause, but this is
for the greater good.

...Before anyone asks, no, I am not planning on sleeping tonight. :)

John

- FreeLists Staff

- List webpage:
//www.freelists.org/webpage/freelists-news