Re: info please on Parker 1920's "Big Red" Senior Lucky Curve (non Duofold)

  • From: isaacson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pens <pens@xxxxxxxx>, fptalk <fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 18:28:26 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Michael,

Comments intercalated...

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Northwest Pen Works" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi David and all, >Yes, I have heard the line "the nib is perhaps not
> original to >pen" on any number of threads about pens. I tend to agree that
> is often times a >possibility, and I had a feeling that you might mention
> that point.

Yes, I have particular reason to mention it in this case, and obviously not
because the nib is DF in a "non DF" pen.

The barrel is- obviously- Canadian. The nib has USA markings.  I have handled a
modest number of mint Duofolds. All USA pens had USA nibs. I've not handled
many Canadian *mint* Duofolds but all Canadian Parker pens I've handled from
the celluloid era had Canadian or less frequent Newhaven nibs.

>I think the real way to find out would be to find someone with mint pens or
>sets, >that have the original paper price bands, with this particular barrel
>imprint and >the nibs should tell the story. Assuming one trusts that the mint
>pens have not >likely had the nibs replaced. I think possibility of nibs in
>mint pen with the >original price bands having the nibs replaced is usually
>very low. Just sayin'...

I don't disagree. Finding though a used pen from company as large as Parker
with country-mismatch between nib and barrel...

>I suppose another possibility could be that when an imprint die wore out,
>another >that was missing the Duofold imprint die might have been used for a
>short time, >while a new die was being made. It also occurred to me that the
>Duofold mark could >be a separate piece from the rest of the of the die. Never
>having seen one of the >dies, I don't know, but it is something I have thought
>about different times. Could >be? Maybe? I don't know. These are just
>thoughts.

Again, all things are... possible.  How probable they are remains our
speculation ;)

It is *not* clear to me that this imprint is "just"  a Duofold imprint sans
"Duofold". Look at positioning of the LC Banner. Note the imprint is
"Medium"-ish despite being on a plastic pen (yeah, Canadian...).  Even if this
does shake out to be a typical "medium" DF type imprint, the idea of a "die"
wearing out for heatstamping plastic, or Parker not having a spare, or their
selling their vaunted Duofold (with honkin' medium imprint!) without the
Duofold mark because they "ran out" of DF stamp... ;)

Even if this imprint is (and it seems different) just a medium-DF imprint sans
"DF", and even if the "DF" part of the stamp is a separate stamp from the rest
of the banner (speculative, but again, I cannot insist impossible now), I
would... favor... an accidental misstamp rather than the notion that bloody
Parker in the 1920's "couldn't" stamp a DF with its name but sold it anyway.

But, life has had stranger things happen I s'pose ;)

regards

david
in the Subject field. The email that you then receive MUST be replied to per
instructions to complete the process.