French Paper:-), German Ink :-(, and American Customer Service:-)

  • From: "Eric D. Zamir-Zimmerman" <eric@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, pens@xxxxxxxx, fountainpencollecting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 19:46:19 +0200

French Paper:
Well, I finally discovered Rhodia pads, and they are quite nice. I would say they are equivalent to Clairefontaine, which I like very much. Both papers are a great neutral white. The lines are subtle, and the paper itself is perfect for fountain pen ink. Which is my seque into the next topic.

German Ink:
When you think about it, the Germans are responsible for a large share of the fountain pen business, and that includes their inks, which are generally excellent.
I have a penchant for the non-globalized underdog, so I was really pleased to discover Jansen ink a few years ago, and have always tried to promote it.
A couple of months ago, I went to fill an expensive pen with my favorite Jansen ink, Aubergine. It didn't fill. I withdrew the pen from the nearly-full 50ml bottle and was shocked to see a huge, amorphous clump of something indescribably gross clinging to the nib.
I wrote about six letters to Jansen, at all their various snail and electronic addresses. Never received a response. Finally, I sent the bottle by registered airmail to Germany (from Italy).
Still no response.
Eventually, after around two months, I called them, and spoke with Mrs. Jansen, while Mr. Jansen snapped at her in German in the background. All I wanted was a new 50ml bottle of Aubergine. In my follow up letter, I suggested that if they wanted to be really nice, they would let me sample a small bottle of something else, as a compensation for the $8 postage, long distance call, the inconvenience, annoyance, long wait, etc.
Well, today the ink arrived. They sent me two of their small bottles. Ok. I won't make an issue of Jansen being a cheapskate. Honestly, I think most people would have trashed the ink and then trashed the company. I really wanted to show them the ink for their benefit. I think it was kind of rude never to respond, and then kind of cheap to send me two tiny little bottles, which basically equals the one I sent in. The end result was that it made me appreciate Terry Johnson of Private Reserve:

American Customer Service:
I bought some PR Sherwood Green in NY a couple of years ago. Last year, I opened my last bottle, and had the same experience set forth above. I guess some call it SITB. I call it the Loch Ness Monster in a bottle.
I contacted PR and received an immediate response. No, not necessary to send the ink. I'll send you a new one, and another color of your choice.
All of this in a matter of days. And, Lo and Behold, after a week, the package was in my hands, and there were three bottles in the box, because I explained to him that in Israel it is (or was) virtually impossible to get PR ink. THAT's customer service. As I look at my various inks, I see a general tendency to use PR, without any connection to the service . It's just great ink.
Now that they've come out with Chocolat and Purple Mojo - the two basic colors that were missing from the lineup - I don't have too much incentive to look elsewhere. The only non-PR inks I use with regularity are Penman Emerald, Sheaffer Burgundy, Omas Roma 2000 (all discontinued) and Noodler Widowmaker. In the browns, I use Noodler Beaver and Brown and Waterman Havana, with an occasional dip into Penman Mocha, but now that Chocolat is here, I have a feeling the others are going to take second place.
I'm not crazy about PR's bottles. But that's what empty Montblanc bottles are for, right?

Eric D. Zamir-Zimmerman
via Gianbattista Barbiani 16
48100 Ravenna Italy
+39 0544 30076