Re: [foxboro] setpars utility

  • From: kevin.fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:46:49 +1200

Ajay,

Non-settable parameters are not updated in the station workfiles as a
result of uploads.

Strings are an issue too, but I don't remember if that is related to
uploads, setpars or both, I'll check.

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell
Systems Engineer
Foxboro New Zealand
------------------------------------
Tel:  +64 (9) 573 7690
Fax:  +64 (9) 573 7691

                    Ajay_Tathgir@xxxxx

                    om                       To:     foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    Sent by:                 cc:

                    foxboro-bounce@fre       Subject:     Re: [foxboro] setpars
utility
                    elists.org

                    11/04/2002 04:19

                    PM

                    Please respond to

                    foxboro

Kevin

A small question. Are there any others parameters which don't get
updated on doing a upload when changed via setpars, or for that
matter is it all non-settable parameters.

I once changed a description of AIN block via setpars, but
never could get it uploaded via upload.

Thanks & Regards

Ajay Tathgir
Reliance Industries Limited
Mumbai - India

Fitzgerrell Kevin <fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxx>@freelists.org on 10-04-2002
10:52:42

Please respond to foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent by:  foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To:   foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:
Subject:  Re: [foxboro] setpars utility

James,

Take a look at the MODOPT setting in the PIDA blocks that stayed at
LIMOPT=3.  I think you'll find that they don't have an integral term,
ie P or PD.  In the P only blocks (MODOPT=1) the controller will show
LIMOPT=3 regardless of it's state in the ICC (I didn't check the PD
option), ie. in a PIDA block with MODOPT=1 and LIMOPT=1 showing in ICC,
SELECT will show LIMOPT=3.  If you change MODOPT to 5, and make no
change to LIMOPT, SELECT will show MODOPT=5 and LIMOPT=1.

You may want to reconsider your use of setpars to make these changes.
Because LIMOPT is not a settable parameter, changes made by setpars to
it will not be updated to the station workfiles with an upload.  This
results in a permanent mismatch between station and workfile.  Savealls
are generated based on the station workfiles, so if you ever load from
a saveall diskette these changes would be lost.  Additionally, setpars
doesn't checkpoint, so until the stations are checkpointed after the
changes are made, a CP reboot would cause these changes to be lost.
Finally, consider the scenario where a P only block is changed to a PI.
 If LIMOPT had originally been set to 2 in the ICC (or via
iccdrvr.tsk), when the later change to PI mode is made, LIMOPT will
still be 2 (and will now show 2 instead of 3 in SELECT).  If LIMOPT was
set with setpars, a subsequent change in MODOPT would cause LIMOPT to
revert to the value in the station workfile, probably 1.

The iccdrvr.tsk is fairly easy to use for bulk editing, makes changes
in both CP and station workfile and does checkpoints.  Additionally,
small typos are significantly less likely to cause major damage to the
control database (-c vs -C for instance).

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell
Systems Engineer
Foxboro New Zealand
+64 9 573 7690
kevin.fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxx

 --- "Hyde, James" <James.Hyde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: >
> Hi,
>

> With the recommendation from Foxboro in the :
> Customer Advisory
> PIDA Block Behavior with V6.3 CS Release
> April 1, 2002
>
> We use a lot of PIDA's and, we did have most of the LIMOPT's set to
> 1.  I
> used the setpars utility to change the LIMOPTS to 2.
>
> /opt/fox/bin/tools/setpars -Ucp**** -tpida -mlimopt=2 -gIknowwhatido
>
> This only change the parameters that were set as 1 to a 2.  It did
> not
> change the parameters that were set as 3 to a 2.
> Does anyone know why?
>

> James W. Hyde III
> Controls Technician
> Wellman Inc.
> Office:      228-533-4528
> Pager:  888-634-1690
>

> If the reader of this e-mail is not an intended recipient, you have
> received
> this e-mail in error and any review, dissemination, distribution or
> copying
> is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
> please
> notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and permanently delete
> the
> copy you received.

http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au Auctions
- 1,000s of Bargains!