Re: [foxboro] dmcmd csa

  • From: "Lowell, Tim:" <Tim.C.Lowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:26:09 -0400

Pedro,

I'm sure Alex was typing this in haste, but there are a couple of
problems with these four steps.

First of all, the DM command to execute a detail display is actually:=20

dmcmd stddisp $P1

Second of all, you must type in the full COMPOUND:BLOCK address in the
data entry box to get any results.

I'm assuming anybody who is trying to find anything on your system
doesn't have the first clue what the compound is or what the term
"compound" even means.  If they did, they would probably just use
FoxSelect or the Select button.  Most likely, they only know the block
name.

For our console guys, I built a display similar to the one Alex is
suggesting, except I use getpars to periodically create a text file list
of all compounds and blocks in the system.  It's a pretty short command
that runs relatively quickly.  It goes like this:

/opt/fox/bin/tools/getpars -mCPNMN:%-12.12s

You can redirect that to a file, and copy that file to all your
consoles.  You can set it up as a cron job to run every night if you
want.  Obviously, it won't catch any blocks you just added, unless you
run it manually.

Next you create a script that queries that text file using whatever is
typed into $P1, which we are assuming will be a block name.

My script looks like this:

getdetail.sh

#!/bin/sh
GCLBUG=3D$1
BLOCK=3D$2
PATH=3D$PATH:/opt/fox/bin/tools
BLKCMP=3D`cat /opt/<your directoryname>/getpars.txt|grep $BLOCK`
BLKCBP=3D`echo $BLKCMP|awk '{print $2 ":" $1}'`
pref -$GCLBUG dmcmd "stddisp $BLKCBP"

The fifth line performs the file lookup to ascertain the compound name,
the sixth line appends the compound name to the block with the ":", and
the last line displays the detail display of whatever block is typed
into the data entry box to whatever DM/FV invoked the program.  You can
run this script with a wp_applic or applic command from the display.
The display command would be:=20

applic /opt/<your directoryname>/get_detail.sh $DMNAME $P1

You would connect this to a button on the display that says something
like "Find Block"

One major problem with this scheme is that if you have multiple blocks
with the same name in your system, the script will display the first one
it encounters in the getpars file.  I suppose I could do some
programming to get around that, but I never bothered.  It works 99% of
the time for us.

Does anybody have a better method for doing this?

Tim Lowell
Control Systems Engineer
ConocoPhillips Trainer Refinery
(610) 364-8362
tim.c.lowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

De: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] =
=3D
=3D3D
En nombre de Johnson, Alex P (IPS)
Enviado el: Lunes, 14 de Agosto de 2006 09:58 a.m.
Para: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Asunto: Re: [foxboro] dmcmd csa

I've done some checking and I can tell you that the csa command is a
documentation error. It was never implemented.

Regards,
=3D3D3D20

De: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] =
=3D
=3D3D
=3D3D3D
=3D3D3D3D
=3D3D3D3D3D
En nombre de Johnson, Alex P (IPS)
Enviado el: Viernes, 11 de Agosto de 2006 03:01 p.m.
Para: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You may have it already, but here is what the manual says. Also:

1) DM or FV?
2) If FV, what version?
3) What OS?
4) What I/A Series version?

AJ

csa

S/W Release: 50 Series, Version 4.2

Use: Permits the display manager to display Compound Summary Access
(CSA) menus, providing selection of a CP's Compound:Block point name.

Syntax: dmcmd csa [-c | -cb] [-left | -right] [<name> [<blktype> ] ]
where:
-c, -cb By default, CSA menus select a point name
(Compound:Block.Parameter). Use the optional -c argument to select a
compound name only. Use the optional -cb argument to select a
Compound:Block name only.

-left,-right By default, CSA menus appear in the middle of the =
=3D3D3D3D3D
screen.=3D3D3D3D3D3D20
The -left option places the menu on the left side of the screen.
The -right option places the CSA menu on the right side of the screen.

name This optional argument contains a WP or DM global string variable
name, in which the selected:
   compound name (-c option),=3D3D3D3D3D3D20
   Compound:Block name (-cb option), or=3D3D3D3D3D3D20
   Compound:Block.Parameter (no option)=3D3D3D3D3D3D20

is stored. The minimum variable string length is:

   COMPOUND name (-cp): 13 characters
   COMPOUND:BLOCK name (-cb): 26 characters
   COMPOUND:BLOCK.PARAMETER: 33 characters

Omitting name stores the selected CSA name (and optional PSAP address)
in the X resource variable SEL_VAR. If the current display manager
contains
an OM list connection to the selected compound, the compound's
PSAP address is stored in the SEL_VAR X resource property.

blktype is an optional argument that contains a variable name in which
to store the block type name. When a compound name is the only
selection,
this argument is ignored.

Example:
csa P1
Stores the selected Compound:Block.Parameter name into variable P1.

NOTE
When calling up the CSA menus, the display manager does not update
connections or trends. Therefore, when the display manager exits the CSA
menus, real-time trends have lost trend data and display a straight line
between the last recorded line value (just before CSA menus were
displayed) and the new line value (the value recorded after closing CSA
menus). The time span of the lost data is equal to the time that the CSA
menus were displayed.

Regards,

=3D3D3D3D3D3D20