Re: [foxboro] Triconix & Foxboro Questions

  • From: <tom.vandewater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 16:54:36 -0400

George,
        We use the Foxboro IA Display Manager and Alarm Manager for our
TRICONEX TRICON HMI.  There is a Module called an ACM that is installed
in the TRICON.  It runs a control image like a CP and connects to a
Foxboro nodebus via a DNBI/10MB/s Ethernet.  It allows you to map all of
the TRICON values to Fox IA Object Manager variables.  One there you can
build and link displays just as if they were coming from a Foxboro CP
and can initiate alarms.  That option is what Foxboro calls FoxGuard.
Triconex also offers a less expensive TRIDENT TMR that doesn't hang
directly on the nodebus.  They do offer serial Modbus connectivity to
the TRIDENT and may now have an Ethernet connectivity but not directly
into IA as with FoxGuard.  We started to migrate our nodebus based
TRICONS onto the MESH network using FBM232's but found that interface
not as comprehensive/functional as the FoxGuard interface and it
requires a lot more effort to configure.  We have very tight integration
between the Fox IA and the TRICON based SIS and it has greatly
simplified that interface for us.
        TRICONEX 1131 software application is capable for configuring
and displaying what is going on in the TRICON logic and we use it
independently to program the TRICON SIS logic but the Fox IA interface
using Foxguard is the way to go for an HMI and Alarm mechanism because
it is consistent and understandable for the operators.  In essence, they
have no idea where they are getting the data for their screens from and
they know if they get a priority one alarm it came from the SIS,
priority two and below are from the DCS.  We use a red light at the
central control room workstations to indicate priority one SIS alarms
and a blue light for priority two and below DCS alarms.  We also sort
our alarms on the alarm manager by priority and then by time so the SIS
alarms are shown at the top of their alarm manager screen if they come
in.  The Foxguard integrates the TRICON system alarms into the System
Management Display Handler hierarchy and makes the Tricon Controller and
I/O modules appear much like CP's with FBM's.  There are a lot of TRICON
system diagnostics that aren't available via the Trident Modbus
interface or the FBM232 interface.  The Foxguard can be made redundant
via use of two ACM cards and DNBI's but we have been using them single
for 5 years now with no problems.  It is important to realize that the
TRICON's SIS functions will execute regardless of whether the Foxguard
communicates, but we have had no problems with the communication link
either.  Foxboro has plans to implement a full Foxguard functionality
directly to the MESH but is not there now and may be a few years.  We
want it.  Hope this is helpful.

Tom VandeWater
Control Systems Developer/Analyst
Dow Corning Corporation