Re: [foxboro] Time Synchronization

  • From: kevin.fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:07:12 +1300

Bill,

Foxboro Canada has a time synchronization product, for more info contact:
Sylvain Nadeau
Systems Integration  & IT
Invensys Process Systems
Foxboro Canada Inc.
snadeau@xxxxxxxxxx
514-421-8107
Fax:514-421-8054

There have been several discussions on this list regarding time
synchronization (topic often comes up around daylight savings time), you
might want to check old postings at the freelists.org site and at the
invensys forum listing.
//www.freelists.org/archives/foxboro/
http://forums.invensys.com/suites/dispatch.cgi/Foxboro_DCS_Mail_List

See also the set_mtk tool at the Cassandra site:
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/archive.html

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell
Systems Engineer
Foxboro New Zealand
------------------------------------
Tel:  +64 (9) 573 7690
Fax:  +64 (9) 573 7691

                    "Livingood,

                    William"                 To:     "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'"
<foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    <wlivingood@xxxxxx       cc:

                    m>                       Subject:     [foxboro] Time
Synchronization
                    Sent by:

                    foxboro-bounce@fre

                    elists.org

                    26/11/2002 09:34

                    Please respond to

                    foxboro

I would like to synchronize the time of our AW51D (IA Series -Ver. 6.3)
with
other NON~-Foxboro measurement equipment in our facility.  The IA Series
manual says only set the time using the IA System Manager.  However, I was
able to synchronize the time by running a cron job that implements ntpdate
to set the Sun Solaris time from a NTP server.  This seemed to work well
because our WP51D (IA Series -Ver. 6.3) successfully adjusted its time
based
on the AW51D.  Unfortunately, the time reported is in UTC.  To correct the
problem, I adjusted the time zone setting by editing the TZ parameter in
the
/etc/default/init file.  Adjusting the time zone from GMT to US/Eastern
caused the time system within the IA Series usually set by System Manager
not function properly.

Does anyone know how to set/synchronize the time of an AW51D to an atomic
clock (e.g. NTP, atomic clock radio) without causing the time system within
the IA Series usually set System Manager to cease functioning?  A cheap
solution is preferred.

~Bill