Re: [foxboro] MODEL SUN SOLARIS

  • From: "William C. Ricker" <wcricker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:22:35 -0500

OK.

Your AW51B is a Sparc Station 5.  That is the hardware type.

SUN Solaris is a set of software.  The Solaris version the AW51B
was built with is Solaris 2.5.1.

When you get a new hard drive, it becomes more complicated.  There
are a few, specific  hard drives the Foxboro system was setup to
run on.  All are SCSI hard drives with the SCA-80 type of plug to
mount inside the Sparc 5.  Some are 4.5 GB and others 9.0 GB.

Each drive used in a SUN Sparc system has an identifier that is read by
software.  The drive identifier must be in the set of those used by
Foxboro, or your software won't load; you will get an error called
"ft_get_sz" during the early part of the software intallation.

I don't have  list of the specific drives, and I dont know if the list
is available.  I have seen it in the code of the ia_install script
on the installation CD.

Using the Solaris utility program called "format", it is possible to
reprogram the identification string of the hard drive. We have set up
drives larger than 9.0 GB to look to the Foxboro system as 9.0 GB disks,
and with the proper identification string so that they will load.

Also, there is a diskette from Foxboro (I think it is called Pre-Install
Utilies) which either does this change, or allows the installation on
other disks.  I have not used this utility.

Good luck.
Regards,

William C. Ricker
FeedForward, Inc.