Re: [foxboro] MESH without Enterasys Hardware

  • From: "Brown, Stanley" <stan.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 11:20:46 +0000

For what it is worth, there is an emerging specification that is gaining a lot
of traction in the electrical protection and control world. It is called PRP
(Parallel Redundancy Protocol). Basically you have 2 networks that do not cross
connect. These networks can be any configuration you like (with star being the
obvious one). The devices send packets on both networks. The receiving devices
discard the 2nd packet that arrives. This results in a zero time failover.
Please note that it does not require any more hardware than the Foxboro
implantation of rapid spanning tree. It does require that all devices that are
on both networks support ths protocol though. And that is only begging to
emerge as available.