Re: [foxboro] Logmate alarm collection

  • From: Neil Martin <neil_martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 10:46:33 -0500

Jeremy,

 I will be a lot more work for you, but here is a thought.  Since Logmate
often uses terminal servers to bring the data into their server/database
via ethernet, I suspect there is way to set up the
configuration/communication between the AW and Logmate ethernet ports
without a physical terminal server.  You will have to find out what TCP
ports and formats they need to receive the ascii data in, and you would
need to write scripts on the AW to grab the alarm history info, handle
necessary handshaking, parse the data and add control characters as
necessary, and then send it out the AW ethernet port for the Logmate server
to receive via its ethernet port.    Their software is configurable as to
how it parses data that it receives, but I think the best thing to do would
be to mimic the same ascii/control character format as the alarm printer
serial port.  They will already have parsing rules for Foxboro
alarms/messages via the serial ports.  We used Logmate at the Austin site
after you left to historize the alarms and to send messages to pagers for
critical alarms.

Neil Martin,    P.E.
Huntsman Performance Chemicals
Dayton & Conroe, TX.
Dayton ph)  936-257-4212
Conroe ph) 936-760-6205
pager) 936-522-0052

             "Jeremy Milum"
             <jmilum@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             foxboro-bounce@fr                                          cc
             eelists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [foxboro] Logmate alarm
             09/06/2007 09:57          collection
             AM

             Please respond to
             foxboro@freelists
                   .org

thanks for the info Tim

On 9/6/07, Lowell, Timothy <TLowell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not sure about LogMate, but I think even their most recent versions
> use only the Serial port, or at least I am not aware of another way for
> LogMate to use anything but a Serial port.  You can purchase a device
> from TiPS that converts the Serial information to Ethernet and sends the
> alarms to the LogMate server via TCP/IP without the LogMate server
> physically being connected to the I/A system.

ugh. We do not currently have any alarm printers setup AND we have a
compound configured for every loop. I don't want to have to modify my
2493 compounds to add a printer device. Yeah I know it *can* be
scripted, but still isn't trivial since the new device may have to be
added to a different parameter depending upon what is already
configured in each compound.

I also don't really want to add extra layers of hardware such as the
serial->ethernet boxes.

it is simple to parse the almhist file and that is what I have done w/
my home grown alarm databases in the past.