Re: [foxboro] Hummingbird eXceed on Windows 7

  • From: <duc.do@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 11:25:48 -0400

After more than a week of pounding on the problem on our own, and another week
after getting some hints from this list in trying to solve our Hummingbird
problem, now, the rest of the story.

Circumstantial evidences point to the Windows 7 personal firewall as the source
of our problems so we had to rule it out conclusively. After much groveling
with the corporate IT demi-gods they relented and allowed us to completely
disable it. Turned out the firewall was not the problem, but it was necessary
to prove it conclusively.

Terry Doucet's suggestion of trying HH1011 is a godsend, and a curse!

We applied the suggested changes, and not only that didn't fix our problem on
Win 7, it broke what was running fine on Win XP! But the error messages when we
tried to run this script file (/usr/fox/bin/VT100.script) slowly point the way
to a shell variable being null'ed out by a portion of the fixes.

To make a long story short, of the three modifications recommended by HH1011,
only changing `locale_env ...` to the full path `/usr/openwin/bin/locale_env
...` is necessary to fix our problem. The first chunk of codes (8 lines to be
inserted after the comment "# If Solaris") broke the script file horribly by
exporting an empty DISPLAY shell variable.

I know there cannot be that many installations out there running DM with
Solaris boxes anymore, but I want this to be in the archive to help prevent
future head-banging against the wall like we did for more than two weeks.

Thanks to all who helped (and all who pitied us in silence).

Duc