Re: [foxboro] How to start VNC & olwm on I/A

  • From: Brian Bates <batesb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:06:27 -0400

Good morning Gops.

If you use Marc's bash shell script to start VNC, you do not need PERL on
your machine.  If you do have PERL, you could use the "standard" PERL
script that comes with the VNC download.

Are you running this on an AW/WP with two physical heads?
When using Marc's script, you will have to modify the following line if you
are. The PERL script  checks to see which are in use, then open the next
one automatically.

DISPLAY=:1 ; export DISPLAY

This could explain why the script fails because it cannot connect to :1.
VNC runs on a "virtual" head on UNIX/LINUX OS's, so you have to tell it to
run on a head that is not in use.
The primary head on a UNIX box is :0, and the second head is :1.  If you
have two physical heads on the machine, then you must pick a different
number for the virtual VNC display.
As the comment in the script indicates, change DISPLAY=:1 to DISPLAY=:2.

Don't forget to specify "ipaddress:2" on the VNC viewer.

      -Regards, Brian Bates.

                      gop@xxxxxxxx

                      Sent by:                 To:       foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      foxboro-bounce@fr        cc:

                      eelists.org              Subject:  [foxboro] How to start
VNC  & olwm on I/A

                      10/15/2003 02:23

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      foxboro

Those who are successful in running VNC-Server on I/A-Solaris,
please advise how to go about the installation.

I am miserably failing at starting a second "olwm" on an AW51E.

Do you really need perl to run Xvnc ?
I have followed the helpful hint of Marc Provencher :
http://www.mail-archive.com/foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg008
77.html , but ended up with a grey window .
The script fails at : nohup /usr/openwin/bin/olwm -display $DISPLAY & . It
says ' cannot connect to :1 '

Thanks & Regards,
GOPS
Aramco Mobil Refinery