Re: [foxboro] How to limit SP when dialed in a wrong value?

  • From: "Subbiah, Srinivasan" <Srinivasan.Subbiah@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 12:34:24 -0600

Thank you. This is really a good one.
Regards,
Srini
-----Original Message-----
From: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Rguercio@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 10:52 AM
To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [foxboro] How to limit SP when dialed in a wrong value?

Just reading the last in this series, so don't know if the following idea
was presented, but this is how I implement what I call "setpoint change
delta  protection".

Create a CALCA block that reads in the current setpoint of the PIDA
setpoint you are trying to 'protect'.  Put the largest change you want to  allow
at any given time into a RI or MEM location.  Use that value to both  add to
and subtract from the current setpoint value, and tie those results  to
SPHLIM and SPLLIM, respectively, in the PIDA block.  If you want or need  to get
fancy, you can put the max increase and max decrease into two locations
and use each in its own calc whose output is tied to its respective SP clamp
as  above.

This has a few benefits:  prevents those 'order of magnitude' setpoint
changing errors, and allows repeated small changes in pretty rapid  sequence if
you really do want a large change.

Rick Guercio, P.E.
RG Consulting
918 E Desert Shrub  Drive
Washington, UT 84780
713-805-8742 cell

In a message dated 5/2/2013 10:30:31 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Standard  PIDA Features
The features are:
♦ Setpoint limiting, SPCLMP
♦ Local  setpoint ramping by rate or time to target, SPROPT

SPCLMP Setpoint  Clamp is a configurable short integer that specifies the
limits to
be used  when clamping or limiting the Supervisory setpoint (SUP_IN),
Remote  setpoint (RSP), and local setpoint (SPT).
0 = clamp using the measurement  scale limits (HSCI1 and LSCI1)
1 = clamp using the setpoint limits (SPHLIM  and SPLLIM)
2 = reject values outside of the setpoint limits (SPHLIM and  SPLLIM)

Joseph M. Riccardi
386-441-0250 Office
386-451-7607  Cell

Joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"To give real service you must add  something that cannot be bought or
measured with money; and that is sincerity  and integrity." - Donald A. Adams