Re: [foxboro] Historical Alarms

  • From: dirk.pauwels@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 17:18:53 +0100

Hi Jack,
Combination of both would be nice, we have Foxray, which is a great help
in analyzing alarms, but we also need a shelving tool so our operators can
"park" troublesome alarms for a while (under certain conditions and with
supervisor approval).  So I'm also interested in the shelving tool
experiances and alternatives.
No idea on the price of the Foxboro shelving tool, probably only
affordable for the big guys as usual?

Kind regards

Dirk

I agree Foxboro's Alarm Shelving Tool would be extremely useful at most
sites. During initial Foxboro installation, most systems have nearly every
alarm (to include status) possible turned on and they usually stay that
way unless considerable man-time is put into taming them down or making
them smarter. Although I have no experience with the Alarm Shelving Tool,
I can see that it would tremendously help tame down alarms and actually
make them much more useful and reliable. However, Alarm Shelving Tool
(like most things useful) isn't cheap and requires a lot of Foxboro and
local site man-power time to implement. FoxRay isn't exactly free either,
but I don't think it is as expensive as the Alarm Shelving Tool when all
factors are considered (especially man-hours to achieve usefulness). My
recommendation of FoxRay (a different product from Alarm Shelving
entirely) is due to the fact it is more immediately useful for all kinds
of Foxboro data to be used by local Engineers/Technic
 ians to improve their systems to include alarm monitoring somewhat. The
main point is that the Foxboro Alarm Shelving Tool is primarily focused on
reducing alarms and making them more useful, whereas FoxRay is all about
collecting and historizing all kinds of Foxboro data. Both are great
products with different functions.