Re: [foxboro] Foxboro I/A OPC - Security

  • From: "Lieven Taleman" <lieven.taleman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 16:36:24 +0200

Hi Andreas,

One of the main security issues is the ability to determine which action a
certain user can take based on his profile.
If we let them all work under the root account in an open shell there is a
high risk that someone can accidently execute a command that destabilizes
the system.

A nice and easy feature is the use of the sudo program. With this, you can
define which commands can be executed and by who.

A Foxboro I/A system can be splitted up in directory paths with different
tasks. One of the main tasks is file management

E.g. /opt/disp,/opt/menus,/opt/overlays contains all your display files.
If you now create a small copy/move/delete script that only allows to work
under these directories, you create the certainty that system files cannot
be modified or removed. (PS: Make sure that the regular user cannot modify
this type of scripts !!. A better solution is using a graphical file
explorer that limits the accessible directories.

Greetings,

Lieven Taleman
B.V.B.A Talsoft - Belgium
lieven.taleman@xxxxxxxxxx