Re: [foxboro] Enterasys switches

  • From: "tjvandew@xxxxxxxxx" <tjvandew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 19:50:25 -0500

        We decided to use the Enterasys N1, N3, or N7 Chassis which can then be
populated with Gold Series blades.  Foxboro has worked closely with
Enterasys to develop firmware that is optimized for Foxboro's needs but
that same firmware becomes part of Enterasys's commercial offering to
all customers.  Enterasys may continue to modify their commercial switch
firmware to add additional features and functions for other customers.
If Foxboro doesn't continue to test and qualify new Enterasys firmware
releases on their MESH it would be possible that future Enterasys
changes could break something that the Foxboro's MESH depends on.
        For this reason it would be possible to buy a MESH compatible switch
directly from Enterasys that would contain newer rev firmware that isn't
tested/recommended for use on the Foxboro MESH.  You may need to
back-burn the firmware to the Foxboro supported firmware rev.
        We bought all of our Chassis and a few blades directly from Enterasys
and some of the blades from Foxboro.  Originally Foxboro only offered a
7 blade chassis.  We only needed 3 blade chassis.
        Mike Davis mentions a Switch Configuration tool that makes it a lot
easier to configure the Enterasys switches to work correctly on the
Foxboro MESH.
        In conclusion, a COTS, (Commercial-Off-The-Shelf), switch from another
vendor might work but Foxboro has spent considerable effort working with
Enterasys to insure optimal MESH operation and have developed specific
configuration tools and settings to use with the Enterasys switches.  At
my current level of understanding I wouldn't feel comfortable using
other switches and I know if I did and had problems it would be
difficult to get knowledgeable help from Foxboro.
Cheers,
Tom VandeWater
Dow Corning Corp.
Carrollton, KY