Re: [foxboro] Compound Device/Alarm Groups

  • From: "Johnson, Alex P \(IPS\)" <alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:07:10 -0400

The normal thing to do is inhibit alarm annunciation on these blocks. If
the client won't allow that the 2nd best approach is to send the alarms
to an alarm group that does not have any alarm destinations in it (or
maybe only your historian).

There are 8 alarm groups:

1) Groups 1-3 are defined in the compound that hold the block
2) Groups 4-8 are defined in the STATION block.

You could define a group in your STATION block to be "empty" and
associate this group number with the troublesome alarms.

There is no penalty to doing this, but I can see a time in the future
when someone sees this "empty" group and decides to use it for something
else. There's no way to "comment" the use of this group in the STATION
block so you will have to find a way to do this procedurally in the
company.

With all of that said, using the alarm inhibit is the right approach.

Regards,
 =

Alex Johnson
Invensys Process Systems