Re: [foxboro] Alarm Management

  • From: Corey R Clingo <clingoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:44:54 -0500

I'll be undertaking a similar endeavor in a couple months.  Alarm overload
has been a problem on every system I've dealt with, but seems to be
especially severe in the plant I'm in now.  The Alarm Manager's
presentation seems to complicate this as well, but admittedly I've spent no
time looking into its configuration to try to improve things.

I'd be interested in what people have to say on this.

Corey Clingo
Sr. Engineer
BASF Corp.

swardvc3@xxxxxxxxxxx@freelists.org on 04/08/2002 05:33:46 AM

Please respond to foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent by:    foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To:    Foxboro
cc:
Subject:    [foxboro] Alarm Management

Hi Everyone,

We are currently trying to reduce the numbers of process alarms on our
system,
especially when a unit shutdown occurs. We realise that there are a number
of
ways of doing this and know how most of them work, the question is which is
the
best? We have already gone through every alarm and reviewed its necessity
then
set its priority.
Our next phase is to start disabling alarms when they are not required.
Mode
driving is one of the options we are considering, i.e. disabling of an
alarm if
it comes as a consequence of something else happening that also produces an
alarm.
I am very interested to hear from anyone who has tackled the problems of
excessive numbers of alarms successfully, what methods have you used and is
maintenance on the system more of a problem than it was previously.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Simon Ward
VC3 Computer Engineer