Re: [foxboro] AW: Remote DM Using DHCP

  • From: "Corey R Clingo" <clingoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:20:19 -0600

>>Hi Wally,
>>where are the security risks?

Hoo, boy, what an open-ended question.  I probably don't need to tell
everyone this, but there are _always_ risks when the system is connected
to a network.  Each system owner accepts a certain level of risk that is
(hopefully) outweighed by the benefits of remote access.

Ideally, you use static IP addresses _and_ username/password
authentication -- "defense in depth", as the security folks call it.  More
ideally, you use strong crypto too (i.e., ssh), because the
username/password for the standard Solaris remote login utilities
(rlogin/rexec, telnet) is sent in the clear, and those utilities,  at
least on 2.5.1, contain known vulnerabilities for which published exploits
exist.  And, of course, a firewall.  And assuming you are locked down
tight on all that, then you have to wonder how many buffer overflows and
format string vulnerabilities exist in Display Manager. Foxview, etc.  It
never ends; there is always a trade-off between security and
utility/usability.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp.

"Weiss, Andreas" <Andreas.Weiss@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
03/19/2005 10:51 AM
Please respond to foxboro

              To:  foxboro
              cc:
         Subject:       [foxboro] AW: Remote DM Using DHCP

> if that helps.  That is what I had to use to get DHCP=20
> working. Ironically,=20
> I just switched back to static addresses for security reasons.

Hi Wally,

where are the security risks?

The user will be asked at a user name and password before he can get
access to a solaris box. That is a good wall to prevent unauthorized
access in my eyes.

Andreas