[foxboro] eXceed/VNC and ICC on Solaris 8

  • From: "Lowell, Tim:" <Tim.C.Lowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:39:28 -0400

We recently upgraded from AW51E's at Solaris 2.5.1 to P81 Sun Blade 1500
boxes running Solaris 8.  I installed VNC on these new boxes, and I
cannot get ICC to run remotely on VNC.  It worked fine on the AW51E's.
As far as I can tell, the VNC configuration on the P81's is identical to
the AW51E's, and everything else seems to work pretty well.

I was wondering if anybody has ever successfully gotten ICC to startup
on VNC or eXceed on Solaris 8.  ICC seems to just crash out when it
tries to start.  I put in some extra lines at the beginning of the
start-up script /usr/fox/bin/run_cio, and it never even gets to these
lines.  The key seems to be the DM variable $DM_DISPLAY.  With this
current setup, this variable is set to unix:x.0, where x is the number
of the VNC session.  The run_cio script seems to really hate that as an
argument, and will not run.  I can't remember what $DM_DISPLAY was set
to on the AW51E's, and I don't have one I handy any more that I can
check.  If somebody can get this to work on a P81 using either VNC or
eXceed, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Tim Lowell

Control Systems Engineer

ConocoPhillips Trainer Refinery