[foxboro] WORKSTATION RESTORE DOCUMENT

  • From: "Sieling, Marcel" <Marcel.Sieling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 09:45:48 -0400

Hi list,

Since several years our Windows based workstations and Servers contain always
Symantec Backup Exec as part of the product for no extra charge. Using the
software you can make online backups to a network destination from the running
machine without interrupting plant operations. The resulting images can be
stored on any network location (NAS drive or dedicated backup server on the 2nd
Ethernet recommended, don't make backups using the Mesh). Backups last approx.
10 to 20 minutes per machine depending on the amount of data on a 100 MBit/s
Fast Ethernet network, they are considerably faster if the 2nd Ethernet network
is implemented using 1GBit/s hardware. The images can be restored to a bare
metal machine in roughly half the time. After that  you have exactly the same
state of the machine as you had while making the backup. We have some clients
that do their backups daily, although we recommend to do them weekly only. We
also recommend to always make full backups to increase availability of the
backup images.

This works without any special knowledge of the Foxboro product.

However restores to CP host machines can be tricky if the content of the CPs
have been changed since the last backup was taken, as then the CPs and the
restored machines will be out of sync. Therefore it's recommended to save the
CP hosts more often (maybe daily). As this can be done online, it's not a
problem to do so. The backup software supports automatic scheduling and
maintenance of old backup versions, if set up properly.

Registered Users with a Service Level Agreement can download the documentation
for the current version of the backup and Restore product offering  from our
Global Customer Support Website, the current document (Jan. 2013) is called
"Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery (2011 Workstation Edition and Server
Edition Guide for I/A Series Workstations)" and can be found here:
https://support.ips.invensys.com/content/documents/iaseries/b0700/b0700es_c.pdf

Enjoy!

Best regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen

Marcel Sieling
Technical Sales Consultant
Invensys Systems GmbH - Hermann-Klammt-Str. 1-3 - D-41460 Neuss  - Germany