[foxboro] Re[2]: Alarms to Remote Stations

  • From: "Daren Bishop" <dbisho@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 13:37:53 -0600

     Remote Stations are clarified as Linux boxes doing X-draws driven by a
     WP51 and an AW51 on the same node. Mirror DM's are assigned on each 51
     station for reduncancy.

     Your explanation, in addition to Alex's response, seem to be the way I
     need to go.

     I will need to flash the Alarm button on individual stations based on
     the match list too.

     I need to have a "hidden" alarm manager on each WP/AW that gets all
     alarms, and one that has "assigned alarms" that pertain to particular
     process units local to each box and remote alarm managers also
     "assigned" by process unit.

     I think this has steered me in the right direction!

     Thanks!!!

     Daren

Subject: Re: [foxboro] Alarms to Remote Stations
Author:  <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> at INTERNET-MAIL
Date:    12/5/01 1:50 PM

Mr. Bishop,

Pls clarify  "Remote Draw Stations"

Is this:
- X terminals driven by 51 series station ?
- Standard 51 or 70 WP ?
- Terminals off the AW70 terminal server thing ?

(I bet you allready know most of this, but ...)
As a general rule, alarms are routed to Printers, Workstations,
and Historians either using the Group/Device specifications in the
compound parameters, or those in the CP's Station block.

Dispensing with the Historians and Printers,...

The Workstation keeps a single alarm queue which serves all
the alarm managers that it runs.  In addition, there is no
way to filter what turns on the the Alarm light on Display
Manager or Foxview, and the New Alarm light on the Alarm Manager
page.

You can filter which alarms show up on a specific Alarm Manager
by using the alarm matching function.  An alarm match specification
can be saved in a file on disk, and by setting the ALMP variable
in 'init.user' you can invoke the match when the Alarm or Proc
button is hit in DM or FoxView. This can be used to present the
operator with 'his' subset of the alarms, but the Workstation
still has them all.

The reason you want to separate out alarms by alarm manager is
also important.  If it is too avoid alarm queue overflows, there
is a variable which can be set in the 'init.user' file to make
the queue larger.  If it is for alarm horn sounding, or to affect
the Alarm or Proc button lite, things get a bit more complex.

W C Ricker
FeedForward, Inc.