[foxboro] RE : RE : Barriers to migration to Windows

  • From: "Doucet, Terrence" <tdoucet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:29:22 -0400

Please clarify these comments:

1) You can easily do tape backup/restore of the Solaris boxes.
Windows it's fairly straightforward to do backups but full restores
are not possible - need to re-install Windows, re-install I/A,
re-commit and then restore custom files. ....................

I have used Ghost many times to dump an AW70 hard drive to a "spare" drive and
have booted the AW70 from both drives to ensure that the back up is working
correctly.  It is very fast. I think about three minutes.  We build the AW70
once only. We do not have to re-install anything.  Although Ghost can use many
other types of media, we felt that a spare hard drive could get the computer
back faster than any other media.

The two hard drives are identical.  I suspect that if the computer died and we
had to get another DELL from Foxboro which does not match the dead computer,
then we might have to go through the whole build and perhaps take a day to get
it working. You are correct in that it is not part of the Foxboro offering and
therefore not documented by standard Foxboro edoc.  But if you look at the
Ghost cost  per license, it is very low and very easy to use.

It's interesting that you say that you can buy the Windows
header/library files for ICCAPI, Object Manager and FoxAPI.  I was told
flatly that these were not available.  Who did you talk to?

I was under the impression that the only library that was not available in the
Windows world was Object Manager. The work around was to use FoxAPI or AIMAPI.
On AW70 we have many custom C programs that use AIMAPI to access the IA data.

3) All Solaris workstations are servers.  It is easy to open a remote
DM/FV from any workstation to any other workstation.  Telnet, ftp,
rmount, rcp, rlogin, rsh, nfs all just work.  SSH can be made to work.
XP boxes are not really servers.  FTP works pretty well.  Telnet under
the Nutcracker suite has some issues. ......................

There are two telnet applications available to be activated on the 70 Series,
Exceed's version and the WinXP (under Services).  The Exceed application is
pretty old and does not seem to perform as well as the WinXP service.  Which
are you using?

Terry

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat