[foxboro] Guidelines for issuing customer advisories

  • From: Corey R Clingo <clingoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:16:02 -0500

I'm curious: under what circumstances does Foxboro issue customer
advisories?

The reason I ask is that we were turned on the operator action journal on
one system here the other day, and after that had two
loss-of-operator-control issues due to the Foxviews locking up.  It turns
out there is a quick fix, QF1005305, for this, with the following

"When the Operator Action Journal is enabled and is unable to
communicate to the historian and/or printer, messages to the
historian and/or printer will be queued up to the point where
resources are used up. This results in the calling application
to be locked out. In the case of Display Manager, all operator's
actions during the lockout period are queued and will be executed
when the lockout period ends. The lockout period may be in excess
of a minute. Reasons for the inability to communicate may include
but not limited to the historian being turned off, printer off-line,
invalid printer and/or historian name. "

Since this involves loss of (manual) control, I would think that this
would have been broadcast.  Even though OAJ is not on by default, I would
imagine it to be a commonly-used feature.

I guess I'll have to start looking through the QFs periodically...

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp.