[foxboro] FoxAPI questions

  • From: Jason Ewasiuk <jason.ewasiuk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 15:27:17 -0600

Hello all,

I'm new to this mailing list, so I'm hoping someone can answer a couple
questions I have about FoxAPI and the Object Manager:

- I have not been able to add objects with the rdwrit setting using the
an_add_objects() function.  If any object in the arrays sent to that
function have the rdwrit(2) setting, the function fails.  Anyone know why
this occurs?

- Is there any difference to using datasets (opened with scopen) for
reading/writing objects, as opposed to using the an_* functions to do the
same operations?  Also, could I use an_add_objects() function to just add
the point to the main dataset (dataset number 1), and then just use readval
to get the value, instead of creating datasets?

- There seems to be a significant time delay when a dataset is created with
objects that are not already in the main read only dataset.  This delay does
not occur if the new dataset contains objects that already appear in the
main dataset.  Also, this delay does not seem to occur on objects that are
added via the an_add_objects() function.  Any idea why the difference in
delay?  If the delay is due to the OM adding the newly connected objects to
its object database, would it be possible, or even a good idea to prime the
OM database with ALL points in the system by pre-adding all objects to it?
What would be the consequences of such an action?

- Is there any difference to making an application that reads data from
C:B.P (or the like) via FoxAPI, and one that uses the OM C library?

I hope my questions are not too far off in left field.  Thanks for any
answers ahead of time. =)

##############################
Jason Ewasiuk  C.E.T.
Software Developer

Systems Department
Matrikon
Suite 1800, 10405 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
T5J 3N4

Phone: 780.448.1010 ext. 4522
Fax: 780.448.9191
mail: jason.ewasiuk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
web:  www.matrikon.com
##############################

*
READER BEWARE: Unencrypted, unsigned Internet e-mail is inherently insecure.

Internet messages may be corrupted, incomplete, misdirected or may
incorrectly identify the sender. Therefore, nothing in this message or
attachments may be considered legally binding.

THIS MESSAGE IS ONLY INTENDED FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO
WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY BE PRIVILEGED.

If you are not the intended recipient or their authorized agent, you may not

forward or copy this information and must delete or destroy all copies of
this message and attachments received. If you have received this
communication
in error, please notify Matrikon Inc. by telephone at (780) 448-1010.