[foxboro] AW: AIM OPC Server

  • From: "Weiss, Andreas" <Andreas.Weiss@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:10:25 +0100

> but I fail to=20
> understand why one needs a DCOM and RPC infrastructure just=20
> to get data=20
> from a control system when a simple TCP socket will do. =20

I would prefer a more DCS and OS independent way too.

> some comments from a member of the OPC Foundation.  He saif=20
> that .NET is=20
> not really fast enough to do real-time data access, based on some=20
> experiments they've done (OPC-XML I think they call it)

Please don't mix .NET and OPC-XML. That are technically different
topics. OPC-XML is of course much slower than any other communication.

I'm wondering for 3 years why the OPC Foundation didn't works out a new
standard without DCOM. DCOM is dead since the .NET Framework cames out
in 2002 (2001 the betas).

Regards,
Andreas