[foxboro] AIM* data accessibility

  • From: "Gunter, Matt" <Matt.Gunter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 16:01:13 -0700

Here's a scenario that I think should work.  Nevertheless, I am
interested to see if anyone else has tried it and knows for certain.

I am considering changing the structure of some of our compounds by
breaking them into smaller groupings.  This would change their tag names
in the historian.  However, I want to associate historical data to the
new tag names along with the new data.

Given that data inside an AIM* historian database is accessed by means
of an index number, not by a tag name, and given that the historian
instance is created from a configuration file containing the linkage
between the index number and tag name, if I edit the configuration file
to associate all the new tag names, e.g. :NEWCMPD:TAG.PARAMETER as
opposed to :OLDCMPD:TAG.PARAMETER, with the existing assigned index
number and follow that up with the appropriate regeneration steps
(histbatch [using the new configuration file], xrebuild and histsave) it
seems to me that the result would be seamless access to all the data
from a given instrument now associated with the :NEWCMPD:TAG.PARAMETER
tag name.

I hope that all makes sense.

I would love to test this theory on a lab system, but that is one thing
we didn't set up.  So, before I try this experiment on our live
historian, I just wanted to know if it made sense and if anyone else had
successfully accomplished such a task.  It's not likely I would change
our database any time soon.  But it is definitely a direction I would
like to go.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Matt Gunter

ATK Space Systems