[FMO] Re: Fwd: Stardust@home is launching

  • From: standcmr@xxxxxxx
  • To: fmo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 11:05:37 -0400

Thanks for posting this, Marco!  I also received the notice in this mornings
INBOX (actually, I received two copies of the "one and only one" notice that
they promised.)

The StarDust project looks like it could be "fun" in the same sense that
digging through myriads of FMO pix was fun ... lotsa "looking" and just a
little bit of "finding" ... for most of us who participate there will be no
"finding" if the estimate of 40 tracks among the 1.6M images is accurate!  But,
anyone who would search SpaceWatch images for FMO's or would search in
haystacks for needles should feel right at home with the StarDust project. :)

Has anyone started a "pool" on how long it will take the masses to scan through
1.6M VM images?  I bet that the several months estimate is way high!  On the
other hand, I bet that the StarDust project team does at least one total
reimaging of the aerogel plate and two additional distributions of images with
revised tutorials!  So, even if the volunteers chew through the images in a
couple of months, the whole "image searching" aspect of the project will be
around for nearly a year!

Stan

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:10:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (noreply)
To: marco.langbroek@xxxxxxxxxx

We announce the launch of the Stardust@home project. Data will be available
starting at 11 am Pacific Daylight Time (1800 GMT),
Tuesday, August 1, 2006.

To participate, please point your browser at:

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek
Admin FMO Mailing List