[fb-exchange] Re: Saturday TechnologyClub notes for April 27th.

  • From: Jackie McBrearty <teambanglesltd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fb-exchange@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 20:39:55 +0100

Hi Helen
Congratulations that is super news to read.
Jackiesent from LadyJackiesIphone

On 27 Apr 2024, at 7:00 p.m., Helen Stoker <hsgaltee00@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My apologies for my absence this morning! Mu partner of30 years and I have decided  to get married and my future Daughter -in-Law came to. Help me with all the paper work !!I swear Rory want to know what I had for breakfast  !!!The meeting sounds great very interesting! I'll read up all the notes  Till next week ..
On Sat 27 Apr 2024, 17:51 Chris Egan, <chrisegan2009@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Great notes, Jackie thanks,ChrisSent from my iPhone
On 27 Apr 2024, at 12:41, Jackie McBrearty <teambanglesltd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Welcome aboard the Saturday Technology cruise liner. We had 10 sailors aboard today.
We had apologies.
We also wish our resident Blind Tennis Champion, Stuart, the best of luck in the nationals today. We also wish Martin the best of luck for his Tennis nationals matches. Do us proud, boys.
We spoke about various ways of contacting call centres from the likes of Sky and Vodafone. A log of people spoke about the positive way Sky operates with their Be My Eyes support and their direct disability line. This is the number for Sky’s disability dedicated line: (081) 871 9809.
Paul spoke about fighting with Toby, the virtual assistant, in Vodafone when he finally got through to sort out an issue he was having in asking Siri to send text messages or WhatsApp messages. The human agent in Vodafone told him to go into settings, general, Transfer or Reset iPhone, reset, and then reset network settings. This worked for Paul and all is good in the camp again.
Jackie told us this morning about her negative experience using Google Maps as a navigational tool. An article came out in the NCBI Technology newsletter about turning on some accessibility feature in Google Maps. Jackie turned this on and tested it this morning. Jackie reported, “it was useless, it was sending me the most difficult way to reach an easy destination,” and this has completely put her off using this app in the future. Anne-Marie agreed about Google Maps and sending a person the most difficult way. Jackie always uses blindSquare in times of lostness and has no complaints. this is the article.https://vi.ie/how-to-turn-on-detailed-voice-guidance-for-vision-impaired-users-in-google-maps/

Adrian spoke about trying out the describe scenes in both Seeing AI and Envision AI. This feature would be like the description in Be My Eyes. We all think it’s positive that there is so much choice out there for describing photos and things in the world.
Dominique was asking about connecting the BBC Sounds skill to her Alexa. After a bit of back and forth, we realized Dominique needs to set up an account in the BBC Sounds app and then connect that to Alexa in the Skills and Games section. When searching for a skill in Alexa, just double tap and hold with one finger, and this will activate the edit field. This is the app link for the BBC Sounds.https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/bbc-sounds/id1380676511 We spoke  about the Journal app and how since the latest update, the “read full article with VoiceOver” no longer works. A number of people reported it to the Journal people: however, swiping through the article works a little better than before. Paul uses the swipe down with two fingers. To report something directly from the app, do the following: Go to settings and then Send feedback about the app. A little update in researching this piece: double-tapping on “read full article with VoiceOver” now works. So anyone who experienced issues, try it out. An update must have come down more recently.
A conversation happened around the Audible app and deleting books from your downloads folder. This saves storage for some people but for others, it didn’t work. The meeting continued, but my notes ended as I had to deal with a matter with my dog.
All have a good rest of the day. Lady W PS: Android got a few positive words today.