[eyedrumartcomm] Fwd: SHOW PROPOSAL

  • From: maxwell sebastian <maxwellsebastian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: eyedrumartcomm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 19:04:53 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: hawk krall <hawkkrall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 5:43 PM
Subject: SHOW PROPOSAL
To: maxwell sebastian <maxwellsebastian@xxxxxxxxx>

Hey man!
Here goes this thing. Please excuse my ridiculous bio. Will definitely
change it before anything is published.

Also the expense estimates are pretty vague. Let me know if you need more
specific numbers, or any other changes on this thing before you take it to
the people on Sunday.

Travel-wise I'm definitely thinking two trips, one for a week or so to just
take a zillion photos, eat a bunch of food, check out the ghetto mall, juke
joints, basically get to know the city.

Then a second trip before the show, set it up, any installations (can I
work in the gallery for a week or two??). Basically I will do these whether
there is a budget for it or not. Just if you can get me expense money I'll
be able to do more and stay longer.

COOOOOL let me know man.
Oh and here's a link to a bunch of art samples:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w5222hgkswq2gbn/AADl-Leevb45gq4Eh_O_ZYw9a

BIO

Hawk Krall is an artist and illustrator from Philadelphia who has spent the
last few years painting regional foods, Philadelphia street scenes, and
illustrating for magazines and newspapers around the country since 2001.
More recently his repertoire has involved large, jam-packed cityscapes and
murals, including the a 350-square foot “Pizzadelphia Wall of Fame” mural
at Pizza Brain, the Guinness-Certified “World’s Largest Pizza Museum” in
Philadelphia. Raised in a family of artists where summer vacation meant
road trips across the country documenting abandoned amusement parks, diners
and flea markets - and several years as a line cook everywhere from dive
bars to 4-star french restaurants - a future that somehow combined American
pop culture, comics, illustration and food was almost inevitable.

PROPOSAL FOR ATLANTA SHOW

Basically the idea is to give Atlanta the Hawk Krall treatment, similar to
work I’ve done related to Philadelphia. Large black & white drawings of
busy urban intersections, jam packed with a mix of people, signs,
documenting (with plenty of artistic license) the funky, wild,
less-traveled side of Atlanta. Along with the drawings, a series of more
pop-art / sign painter style pieces on wood, featuring local foods and
other items of interest. With the proper time and budget I’d also love to
do something 3 dimensional, like a wood/cardboard life size store front
that you can actually walk into, and/or a large wall mural installation as
a sort of anchor to the show. I’d definitely spend some time here shooting
photos and doing research, and possibly actually create some or all of the
work in Atlanta if it’s feasible for me to do so.

GALLERY EXHIBITS

“New Work” - B2, Philadelphia, Dec 2013 (solo)

“East Passyunk Food Show” - HOME boutique, Philadelphia, Apr 2013 (with
Felicia Perretti)

“Sandwich Show” - American Sardine Bar, Philadelphia, Dec 2012 (solo)

“New Drawings” - Space 1026, Philadelphia, June 2012 (solo)

“The Art Of Hawk Krall” - Hot Diggity, Philadelphia, Feb 2012 (solo)

“Fuss Free 2 ” - Shadow’s Space, Philadelphia, Mar 2010 (with Roy Miranda,
Martha Rich, Ted Passon, Adam Wallacavage )

“Kablam-O!” - Padlock Gallery, Philadelphia, 2007 (with Jesse Moynihan,
Hans Rickheit, Genevieve Castree )

“Low Brow Art Show” - North Star, Philadelphia, 2003 (with Roy Miranda, Zoe
Strauss, Kris Chau, Tim Gough )

“Fuss Free” - Objex Artspace - Miami, 2003 (with Roy Miranda, Esao Andrews,
Thom Lessner, Brett Superstar)

GROUP SHOWS

Giant Robot (LA), Masthead Gallery (PHL), Pteradactyl Gallery (PHL),
Ottobar (Baltimore), Copy Gallery / Blackfloor (PHL), Space 1026 (PHL),
Honeymilk (PHL), Pageant Soloveev (PHL), Altered Aesthetics (MN), Jinxed
(PHL)

MURALS

Elixr Coffee Window Mural, Philadelphia, June 2014

“Pizzadelphia Wall Of Fame” - Pizza Brain, Philadelphia, August 2012

SELECTED CLIENT LIST (ILLUSTRATION)

Cincinnati Magazine, Runner’s World, Seattle Magazine, Seattle Stranger,
Willamette Week, Philadelphia Weekly, Philadelphia Magazine, Time Out NY,
Village Voice, Las Vegas Weekly, Baltimore Citypaper, Wrap Magazine, Lucky
Peach, Variety Magazine, Swindle, Adirondack Life, Next American City,  Art
In The Age, Hot Diggity, Pizza Brain, Delaney BBQ, 1732 Meats.

PRESS

Originators: Hawk Krall, Kevin Cortez, Mass Appeal, Feb 2014

Hawk Krall Debuts Food Art Show At American Sardine Bar, Drew Lazor,
Philadelphia Daily News, Dec 2012.

Krall’s Franks, Janine Catalano, The Gourmand (UK), Nov 2012

Pizzadelphia, Caroline Russock, Philadelphia City Paper, Sep 2012

On The Road, Art Feature, Food Network Magazine, July 2012

Hawk Krall Draws Inspiration From Philly, Elliot Sharp, Metro, July 2012

The Food Art Of Hawk Krall, Juxtapoz, Mar 2011

Nothin’ But A Dog Hound, Rick Nichols, Philadelphia Inquirer, August 2009.

BUDGET (IF POSSIBLE) (IN ORDER OF PRIORITY)

Material for large wall mural and/or 3 dimensional storefront 500-1500

Travel to set up / opening 500-1500

Atlanta Research Trip 500-1500

Framing for b&w drawings 300-500

--