Re: email problems sending to subdomain

  • From: "A. Michael Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 23:33:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> Hi, we have the main domain.com and the subdomain child.domain.com.
> There is oen Exchange organization and the Exchange server is running in
> the main domain for all users. The child.domain.com is in another site of
> AD connected over high-bandwidth VPN, so there is no problem with the
> connection. I installed another Exchange server in the child.domain.com,
> then tried to move some mailboxes over to the server to keep them local
> for the users. However those users cannot receive any email internally.
> The can receive and send email to the Internet, and they can as well send
> it out to other users in the same organization. I restarted and checked
> Recipient policies, routing engine and smtp service. I tried also to
> create RGC connectors or even smtp connectors. None of them helped. The
> same is happening also with any new mailbox created in that subdomain.
> The mail sent from domain.com to chil.domain.com is piled up in the queue
> on the exchange in the main domain. What are requirements to let this
> email flow between domain.com and child.domain.com? Please let me know
> some your ideas if you had such experience.

I am assuming you have this situation:

MAIN domain name:  users have email addresses @domain.com

CHILD domain name:  users have email addresses @child.domain.com

Have you set up a DNS MX record for the child domain?  It is not
sufficient to set up a MX record for the main domain name.  You also need
a MX record for each sub-domain that will be receiving email
"@child.domain.com"

HTH!

Mike Salim