RE: a little suggestion

  • From: "Periyasamy, Raj" <Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 13:31:09 -0400

Hi Raman,
You have 2 options,

1) You can enable the "Filter Recipients who are not in the active
directory" option in the Message delivery properties of the Exchange
organization. This is easier, but NOT RECOMMENDED. Because, this will
send a response back to the spammer about invalid user ID during the
SMTP handshake. So, the spammers can harvest email IDs.

2) Get an antispam software such as GFI Mailessentials that can do
Directory Harvest filtering. I would recommend this, because in this
case the spam filter masks the invalid recipients, and does not send
response back to the spammer about invalid recipient.

Raj Periyasamy
Systems Administrator
MCSE(Messaging), CCNA