RE: Unable to Connect Mailboxes

  • From: "Katherine Coombs" <katherinec@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:59:44 +0800

Hi Gautum,

For each mailbox, are you able to right-click on it (within Exchange
System Manager) select Reconnect?  You should then be able to select the
user to reconnect it to, and hey presto the user is connected to the
mailbox again.

This should work, unless in AD, each user is already connected to an
Exchange mailbox, in which case there's a mismatch going on.  AD thinks
that each of its users has a mailbox, but that mailbox either no longer
exists or doesn't realise that it's connected to that user account.

In this case, you may need to force AD into realising that the mailboxes
that each user is apparently associated with isn't really there, and get
it to remove that association in AD.  You can do this by right-clicking
on the User(s) and selecting Exchange tasks.  Then select Remove
Exchange Attributes (or similar, I'm not in front of an Exchange server)
and then select OK etc.  Once that has allowed a bit of time for
replication, settling-in, time to make a cup of coffee etc, the user
should no longer have any Exchange attributes, so AD will think that it
doesn't have a mailbox.  Meanwhile, the mailbox is still sitting there
in Exchange System Manager with a red cross, waiting to be connected to
a user account.  So, then go to ESM, right-click on the mailbox and
select Reconnect.

HTH,
Katherine Coombs