Slow Exchange performance and the 3gb switch

  • From: "duggy" <techsuppdbase@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 03:49:35 -0700

Hi folks
wonder if you can advise.  We have a customer with an Exchange 2k box with
all the correct as advised raid setup etc and exactly 1 gb ram on a w2k
advanced server that is the active directory root ! Performance
bottlenecks during the middle of the day and reaction time at the console
can sometimes drag.  Based on reviews and visits to exchange support
groups our plan is to:

Reintsall the local nav as unmanaged and allow it to perform its own
updates. might help. (av for exchange is running fine)
Moving user directories and other data from this server to a file server.
i'm sure this will help the server.
adding the  /3gb switch to the boot.ini as recommended by ms due to w2k
advanced server and 1gb ram on server. will this help. Have you seen it's
influence anywhere ? or will there be adverse effects on ad logins etc.
Active directory root etc is on server-we are thinking of moving roles to
another server. Will this make any impact on performance ? (Rhetorical
question ?)

what we've already done:
Changed the realtime protection of symantec anti virus to not monitor
exchange directories etc as recommended by symantec
Checked symantec av for exchange is uptodate and updating. looking good.

any advise is appreciated.
thanks
duggy