RE: Problem with RPC over HTTP Tom's way

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:40:14 -0600

Hi William,

Good info, makes sense.

Thanks!
Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: William Lefkovics [mailto:william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 12:04 AM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] RE: Problem with RPC over HTTP Tom's way

http://www.MSExchange.org/

Danny recently compiled why on another list, so I'm going to borrow from
his
post:

here is what Microsoft says about...
Running Exchange 2003 on a Domain Controller

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3HighAvG
uide
/6115570d-9f61-47a0-bd73-419a89380fe3.mspx

As a best practice, you should not run Exchange 2003 on servers that
also function as Windows domain controllers. Instead, you should
configure Exchange servers and Windows domain controllers separately.

However, if your organization requires that you run Exchange 2003 on a
domain controller, consider the following limitations:

. If you run Exchange 2003 on a domain controller, it uses only that
domain controller. As a result, if the domain controller fails, Exchange
cannot fail over to another domain controller.

. If your Exchange servers also perform domain controller tasks in
addition to serving Exchange client computers, those servers may
experience performance degradation during heavy user loads.

. If you run Exchange 2003 on a domain controller, your Active Directory
and Exchange administrators may experience an overlap of security and
disaster recovery responsibilities.

. Exchange 2003 servers that are also domain controllers cannot be part
of a Windows cluster. Specifically, Exchange 2003 does not support
clustered Exchange 2003 servers that coexist with Active Directory
servers. For example, because Exchange administrators who can log on to
the local server have physical console access to the domain controller,
they can potentially elevate their permissions in Active Directory.

. If your server is the only domain controller in your messaging system,
it must also be a global catalog server.

. If you run Exchange 2003 on a domain controller, avoid using the /3GB
switch. If you use this switch, the Exchange cache may monopolize system
memory. Additionally, because the number of user connections should be
low, the /3GB switch should not be required.

. Because all services run under LocalSystem, there is a greater risk of
exposure if there is a security bug. For example, if Exchange 2003 is
running on a domain controller, an Active Directory bug that allows an
attacker to access Active Directory would also allow access to Exchange.

. A domain controller that is running Exchange 2003 takes a considerable
amount of time to restart or shut down. (approximately 10 minutes or
longer). This is because services related to Active Directory (for
example,
Lsass.exe) shut down before Exchange services, thereby causing Exchange
services to fail repeatedly while searching for Active Directory
services.
One solution to this problem is to change the time-out for a failed
service.
A second solution is to manually stop the Exchange services before you
shut down the server.