Outlook clients receive MTA queue mail sporadically

  • From: "Beahm, Keith" <kbeahm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 17:57:02 -0500

I have a growing number of Outlook 2000 clients that receive mail in
bunches, and only after you click on a different Outlook folder to change
the view.  If they just leave the client up and don't touch anything they
never get any new mail displayed.  The exchange servers are functioning at
peak performance (event logs look ultra clean) and the IS is small (<10G in
most cases).  There is no evidence of any backlogged MTA queues either.
This is not limited to just one exchange server, which is why I believe it
is Outlook client related.  The back ups are done with Veritas of the IS and
Mailboxes both every night and they are successful (and fast).  We run the
latest version of Antigen AV on all the exchange servers.  There is 1 org 1
site and 11 servers between 9 physically separated offices.  All the
exchange servers are Dell PE2550s with Win2K SP2 and Exchange 5.5 SP4.
Client workstations are all new Dell Optiplex's that are equally fit for the
task.  The network is 100Mbps to the desktops and servers (fiber GBps
backbone), and full mesh T1 frame between offices.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration, any ideas or suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Keith Beahm, Network Engineer
Stinson Morrison Hecker, LLP
kbeahm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx