Exchange 2000 Offline Backups

  • From: "Cox, Christopher [Allen & Heath UK]" <Chris.Cox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:36:17 -0000

I don't know whether you have come across this one but it has totally
perplexed me and I can't find anything on the web to suggest what is
happening.

I have been reading various papers on Exchange 2000 disaster recovery.
And the common suggestion is that it is good to have an offline exchange
server in the background that can be used to recover lost users data or
in the event of a disaster rebuild your site.

However, to achieve this, you need to have an offline backup of your
server, databases, log files, system state etc.

Veritas Backup Exec allows you to do this by including an "execute
before backup starts" and an "execute after backup completes" batch file
when you run a job. They suggest on their tech support site to use the
following script which we have copied and used:

Exchstop.bat

NET STOP pop3svc /yes
NET STOP imap4svc /yes
NET STOP MSExchangeES /yes
NET STOP MSExchangeMTA /yes
NET STOP MSExchangeIS /yes
NET STOP MSExchangeSA /yes
NET STOP MSExchangeSA /yes

This shuts down all the services before the backup starts. A similar
batch file starts the services following completion of the backup.

The only problem is that it does not appear to work.

If you execute the batch file from windows by double clicking it's icon
in explorer (when logged on with the backup exec service account) the
batch file works fine and all the services are properly shut down.

However, when run from the backup software, although the log file shows
that the batch file has been run, the services are not shut down and the
.edb and .stm files are not backed up (says skipping open files).

This seems bizarre. We used to use a script with Exchange 5.5 every once
in a while and I know that that worked.

My thoughts are that maybe the Windows 2000 security patches
(lockdown.exe and urlscan.exe) are preventing command line access to the
backup exec program. Could this be so and have you seen anything
similar?

Happy Chrismas and all the best.

Chris Cox   BEng, DiplEng
Information Technology Manager
Allen & Heath Limited,Kernick Industrial Estate,Penryn
Cornwall. UK TR10 9LU
Tel +44 (0)870 7556250, Fax +44(0)1326 370139
Direct: +44(0)870 7556270 Mobile +44(0)781 555 1962
EMail chris.cox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Web http://www.allen-heath.com
<http://www.allen-heath.com/>

***DISCLAIMER***
This Email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual to whom or the entity to
which they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the sender immediately. Please note that any views or
opinions presented in this email are those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Allen & Heath Limited. The recipient
Allen & Heath Limited accepts no liability for any damage caused by any
virus transmitted via this email.