[evac-board] Re: Telescope Auction

  • From: Wayne Thomas <tomwaymas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: evac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 21:57:28 -0700

According to Telescope Bluebook, the resale value is highly dependent on
the specific model. For example, the Celestron 8" Powerstar PEC averaged
$384 from 2001 to present, the Powerstar C8/II/III/4 averaged $611, while
the 8" Ultima 2000 averaged $1143 over that same period. For the Meades,
the most common average price paid for model 2080 LX6 was between $600 and
$700. I would suggest we set the starting price below the lowest price for
that model telescope based on the values from Telescope Bluebook. It would
require identifying the specific model up for auction.

For what it's worth,

Wayne

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 8:56 AM, Claude Haynes <azstargeazer@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I am including some pictures of telescopes that are part of the GRCO
inventory. We didn't include them in the Newsletter because we hadn't
gotten a final go ahead from the Town. These would be included in the
September auction, with the proceeds going to the GRCO balance.

They are:
8" Meade SCT with wedge mount
8" Celestron SCT with wedge mount
102mm Celestron short tube refractor

The SCT's are older technology and not really GOTO, and we really haven't
tested them out. The refractor is the original wide field scope from the
observatory.

I beleive we should set a minimum start to the bidding. The other donated
telescopes are marginal, but these have some value. What would the
recommended minimum be? $250, $300, ???

Thanks

--
Claude Haynes