[etni] Re: the continuing saga of "can not"

  • From: "sbshai" <sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 23:42:53 +0200

Here comes a (self-proclaimed) referee:

Parallelism notwithstanding, this referee rules in favor of clarity.

Wouldn't most of us prefer sentence A (as follows) rather than B?
(A) I can post it if I choose to, but I can also choose not to post it.
(B) I can either post it or I can not post it; the choice is mine.

If we opt for clarity AND conciseness, we can simply say: I can either post
it or not [post it]!

Granted, this is more a question of style than grammar, but shouldn't we
eliminate possible confusion wherever we can?
We can, or we can not; your turn to choose!

Shavuah tov -- whatever your preference is!

Batya