[etni] Re: teaching vocabulary out of context: the verdict

  • From: Michele Ben <mggben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:20:57 +0200

I always introduce vocabulary out of context.  And then I have the
kids try to put it into context by filling the words into sentences.
After working on the list a few times, we then read the passage from
which the words were taken.  That's when all the vocabulary is
contextualized in the reading passage.

Here's a recent story:
In my last class of grade 8 bet pupils, one of the weakest pupils
actively particpated when we worked on the reading text.  She usually
just sits there like we're learning Chinese.  After class I
complimented her on her participation and comprehension.  Her
response: "Well, I worked really hard on the words you gave.  I even
worked on them with my father.  That's why I understood the story!"
Well ... DUH.  My response: "That's great.  I hope you'll continue
learning words now that you realize how important learning vocabulary
is."  (In case any of you are wondering, we conversed in Hebrew.)

Michele