[etni] school (magen) grades - a reply about the Irgun sanctions

  • From: Sarah Maoz <srmaoz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 23:51:13 +0100 (BST)

Dear Elaine,
I have just come home from the Translation Bagrut and soon it is the English
Bagrut for most of the pupils in my high school in Rehovot.
Our school is due for cutbacks of 750 hours !!!! which apparently is equal to
the firing of 33 teachers !!!!!!
The only way we can make a stand against the ministry and government's cuts is
to stand united in NOT giving the school grade.  Today I told my kids orally
their Magen grades but our representative of the Irgun told us not to publicly
post them nor to pass them on to the management.
If we ALL do NOT give the school (Magen) grade - I promise you there will be an
outcry from the parents and there will be some results in favor of the
teachers' demands.
We are not hurting the students as I believe that eventually they will get
their magen grade calculated even if it is AFTER the Bagrut test itself.  This
is the only WEAPON left to us teachers and believe me - I have been teaching
for 25 years and the situation is only deteriorating in the past years.
Like you I wavered for so long but in this last barrage of anti-teacher
media-based bias I have come to the end of my tether!
Have you ever heard of the engineers submitting to such work conditions or the
electric company.  The reasonis that they all stick together behind a very
strong "Va'ad" and the reason our Irgun hasn't been so successful is that we
always
capitulated.  If all the Irgun teacher act together we can give our Irgun
representatives the backing they need to stand firm.
This is all my personal opinion - but after many hours of conflict.
Hope this helps and pass on the word.  We always think things can't get worse -
 be careful  - they can and we are responsible if they do and we didn't stand
up for ourselves!
Sarah Maoz
Coordinator
Katzir High School Rehovot.

  Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today!
Download Messenger Now