[etni] school grades

  • From: "laurie ornstein" <laurenmadeline@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bnirenberg@xxxxxxxxx, Ask_Etni <ask@xxxxxxxx>, etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:42:48 +0300

Hi All,

  I appreciate the comments to my message on pupils not taking the Bagrut to
bypass the school grade.

 I'm not sure I understand your comment, Bari, regarding a "fair" grade and
one that reflects the pupil's capabilities. Fair, in my opinion, means
playing according to the rules; a pupil must do all the assignments,
classwork, come to class, etc. A pupil who doesn't fulfill these
responsibilities, doesn't deserve a passing grade even if he/she is capable
of getting 100% on the Bagrut test.

 According to the NBA guidelines 70% of the grade goes to classwork,
quizzes, tests, etc. and 30% to project work, lit. or extensive reading. No
project, lit. or book report files boils down to 0%. No homework, poor class
attendance and not handing in assignments also means lowering of the grade
even if the kid is bright and is capable. In our school, we decided to
divide the 70% into 2 parts; 40% pre-Bagrut exam/s (makonet) and 30%
classwork, quizzes, etc. So, 100% on the pre-Bagrut exam and )% (or any
other very low grade, leads to a failure. Is that fair?

Laurie