[etni] right on!

  • From: "laurie ornstein" <laurenmadeline@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:26:13 +0300

Hi All,

  Just got home and read the news that the markers are on strike. My hat
flies off to you. I'm so glad you didn't bend to pressure. May you not be
moved!

  Now here's some more food for thought. I attended a conference of southern
Ministry counselors this week. I'll start out by saying it was excellent and
far beyond my expectations. (I'd sworn that if I saw another power point
presentation go up on the screen and had it read to me, I'd leave!) Now the
downside of this conference was the fact that "as usual" all the counselors
filling up the auditorium, myself included, have received the annual letter
from the Ministry firing us, so as not to give us tenure for counseling.
Year in and year out, same old, same old.... "Of course," most will be back
on the job come fall when the budgets are approved. The other point of
contention, sarcastically mentioned, was the recent hike in gas prices;
counselors "fund" a good part of their travel expenses, the cherry atop the
ridiculously low pay.

  As I left the Teachers Centers at the end of the conference, I started
thinking about "organizing" for better conditions. Unfortunately, I don't
think I'd get much support. English teachers know how to stand up for their
rights but I'm not sure this diverse group of dedicated people will
unionize. Maybe the markers' strike will spark them?!

Laurie

Laurie