[etni] re future forms

  • From: Alexa Raine <rainefam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 20:06:34 +0200

Come over this weekend. We (will go / will be going) on a picnic and
> >would
> like you to join us.

Just to put in my two shekels worth, I cannot accept "wiil go" as a correct
answer and not just because it doesn't "sound right " to my Native Speaker
ears. I agree with Lev that as a teacher we have to follow a rule - otherwise
how can we teach correctly?

Now I amy be wrong, but as I understand it, "we will go" is used to describe a
spontaneous spur of the moment decision, such as "I have no sugar. I will go to
the supermarket and buy some" or wish fulfillment " I will go to the ball!"  It
would be correct without the qualifying part of the sentence "and would like
you to join us", because then it is more spontaneous  - Come over this weekend.
We will go on a picnic!

However, "will be going" is used to talk about plans in the NEAR FUTURE.
Therefore, "we will be going on a picnic" fits best with "Come over this
weekend".  And yes I know the websites say they are interchangeable - but not
in every situation.

Oh the vagaries of English grammmar! I would be interested to know why the
English teachert marked it as she did

Alexa Raine
** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/