[etni] problem child - update

  • From: "English With Linda" <englishwithlinda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:00:40 +0300

FIrst of all, I want to thank ALL the many etniers who replied and gave me such
positive feedback and suggestions. I have read each and every one of them, and
they are ALL wonderful.
Some asked for updates, so i will tell you how today's class went.

First of all, the end was NO frustration on either's part and a great "see ya'"
when the bell rang.

I started out giving him a choice of a number of notebooks for him to choose
one for a DIALOG JOURNAL. Had him make a cover page (he loves doing fancy
typefaces) and then put a timer for 10 minutes ...he kept asking "can i write
this, or that...." and always I would say "Anything you want, just know that it
is private between me and you and i won't show it to anyone else without your
permission." He had a great time writing that. (I won't tell you what he wrote!
LOL, but it WASN'T very personal at all...it'll be fun to see how this
develops). I shall return it, with my entry to him, on Wednesday.

Next, I let him choose from about 6 books that I brought. He is to read and
just keep track of how much he reads.

He spent some time telling me about a game he is playing on the internet (Small
worlds) and then about a movie (The boy in the striped pajamas) as we were
discussing communication between different social and cultural strata. Then we
started reading the "O Henry" story, While the Car Waits (?)

His homework is to finish reading the story.

It was a nice, pleasant 45 minutes!

Thanks, all
Linda